Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving. One of the greatest things about being an American! How wonderful that we get a holiday totally devoted to just giving thanks for all the blessings in your life! I needed Thanksgiving so badly this year. I've mentioned before that I don't really like law school as much as I thought I would, and I think I've been focusing on that so much lately that I've lost sight of some of the really great things about my life.

For example... first and foremost I'm so, so thankful for my amazing husband. He makes me laugh everyday, he makes the bed sometimes just because he knows I like how it looks with all the pillows perfectly placed, and he tells me I'm pretty even when I'm sitting amongst a pile of law textbooks and haven't showered in 48 hours. I've been really busy with school lately, and he's been cooking, doing the laundry, washing dishes, and generally picking up the slack for me without even mentioning it.

Did I mention he makes me laugh all the time?

I used to say that I didn't want to get married until I was 30 or 35. I wanted to focus on my career and be successful on my own and all that. But somehow I met the right guy and I ended up married at 21. God knew I was going to need him, and I'm thankful everyday that I found the perfect man for me so early in life.

And of course, I'm thankful for our families. We have such an overabundance of people who love us and support us. We've got THREE Thanksgiving dinners!! We're so blessed to have so many examples in our family of amazing married couples... we both grew up learning what true love looks like, what a marriage is supposed to be about, and what it means to really live out your wedding vows. It's been a priceless gift for our marriage.



Also, my little sisters. They make me smile everyday, and I couldn't be more proud of them. Knowing that they look up to me makes me strive to be a better person, and I just love them so much.

I'm thankful for our apartment, which has become such a wonderful little home. Despite the fact that our rent is increasing in January (which I am NOT happy about by the way!), it's a wonderful location, and I've loved being able to "nest" and build a home.


I'm thankful for Jeff's job. He gets paid a decent salary to do something he really loves, with people he enjoys working with, and in this crazy economy it means a lot to us that he has a stable job we can count on.

I'm thankful for scholarship money. With the scholarships, we've so far been able to afford my law school expenses without having to take out loans, and it looks like we'll be able to continue doing it that way. I don't think I'll fully appreciate this until I graduate and see most of my classmates having to make loan payments every month, but I know it's a big deal, and I'm thankful for it.

I'm thankful for our friends. We've been able to keep in touch with most of the people that mean a lot to us even though we moved to Houston, and I love that. We're planning on going to quite a few weddings this summer, which means we're finally going to have some "couple friends!" We were pretty much the first of all our friends to get married, so it'll be nice to have some other married buddies. :)

Who wouldn't want to be "couple friends" with these two?

I'm thankful for the great state of Texas. I love living in a place where it's 80 degrees in November. It's the land of barbecue, rodeos, and fajita & margarita dinners. We've got bluebonnets and Whataburger and country music, and I couldn't be happier to live in the friendly Lone Star State.

And last but not least, I'm thankful for this blog. It's provided me with endless hours of procrastination assistance, and it's given me a chance to do something I love - write! Plus, I have a wonderful bunch of readers, many of which I've never even met, who mean a lot to me.

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever."
Psalm 107:1

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!! I'm thankful for your blog that I enjoy reading so much!! Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete