Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

So I'm pretty much studying for finals all the time over here. It's awful. I feel like I'm entirely less prepared this semester than I ever have been before. All those classes I missed for interviews in August and September are finally catching up to me. Yikes.

I actually had Jeff change my passwords to Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest yesterday so that I'd stop clicking over when I need a "study break." It's not like I was wasting a ton of time on the Internet, but I think I've reached a point where every spare second counts. 

I hate Fall finals so much more than Spring finals because in the Fall, they totally ruin the Advent/holiday season. It drives me crazy. The rest of the world is out there playing Christmas music and drinking hot chocolate and wearing sweaters, and I'm sitting in my pajamas all day every day buried in a mound of textbooks and wondering if it's cold outside today. I know I could actually get dressed or make myself some hot chocolate, but like I said, every second counts... and I just don't have those seconds to waste!

Anyway, enough about finals. How about a yummy recipe?

These are yummy AND healthy! Turkey is quickly becoming a favorite in our house. I don't even remember the last time I cooked with ground beef... it's all turkey around here lately!


Recipe adapted from here (the original recipe has Weight Watchers points and nutrition facts and such for anyone who's wondering).

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground turkey
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, minced
3/4 cup water
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 head of iceberg lettuce, separated into large leaves
Whatever toppings you want (we use shredded cheese and Picante salsa)

Directions:
1. Brown turkey in a large skillet. When no longer pink, drain well and return to pan. Add spices and mix well.
2. Add onion, pepper, water, and tomato sauce and mix. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
3. Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Spoon turkey mixture into the center of lettuce leaves and add whatever toppings you want!

Browning the turkey...

Adding spices...

Adding onion, pepper, water, and tomato sauce...

Simmer for 20 minutes!

Ta-da!

Spoon into lettuce, then add toppings and roll 'em up!

Enjoy!

1 comment: