Thursday, December 15, 2011

Corkboards in the Cabinet!

NOTE: By the time this post goes live, I'll be sitting in a cold classroom taking my last final of the Fall 2011 semester. I could use all the help I can get on this one, so prayers or happy thoughts would be SO appreciated! In honor of finishing the semester and finally getting my non-law-school life back together, here's a post about being organized...

We've been having a little problem in the kitchen. Basically, stuff ends up everywhere. Coupons, recipes, invitations, junk mail... we just had a lot of stuff hanging around. It all seemed to accumulate on the fridge or the corner of the counter...

coupons, voter registration cards, pizza delivery menus, furniture auction flyers, holiday party invitations...

magazines, fabric swatches, junk mail, recipes, random papers with room measurements...

Anyway, we needed a solution for those papers that you can't throw away yet, but you shouldn't leave just sitting on the counter. I decided I needed a corkboard in one of my kitchen cabinets! So, I bought some cork tiles and some removable mounting squares...

The cork tiles come with their own mounting squares, but I used them once in college and they ruined my wall, so it's best to buy them separately and go with the removable kind !


I started with this empty cabinet (chosen for it's good width and it's location on the edge of the kitchen):


I put the sticky squares on the four corners of two tiles, and peeled off the backing...



Then, I just stuck them onto the cabinet (pressing firmly in each corner to make sure they adhered well)!



Now, we have a convenient place for all that stuff that used to be on the fridge and counter. Coupons, pizza menu, fabric swatches, paint chips, recipes, etc.


The counter has been cleared, and the fridge is looking much nicer:

We're down to just a Mass times magnet, a decorative magnet, our magnet clips, our shopping list, and an invitation for Jeff's work holiday party. Success!

The best part of this solution is that I can close the cabinet, and all the stuff is perfectly hidden away! I love it. 


Sometimes it's the little, quick projects that make the biggest difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment