Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Savory Chicken & Stuffing (Crock-Pot)

It's a really good thing this semester will be over tomorrow. Everything I heard about Fall of 2L Year being the absolute most stressful time is totally true. I've been behind all semester due to missing about 20% of my classes for interviews, and I didn't have time to stop and review all semester due to Law Review and the journal article I'm writing, and now I'm desperately trying to just cram stuff into my brain in time to spit it back out for finals. 1L was the hardest emotionally, but as far as time management and stress levels go... 2L Fall takes the cake.

This may be TMI, but I like to be honest with y'all... my hair has started falling out a lot the last couple of weeks, and I'm pretty sure it's stress-related. Like, I brush my hair, and there's SO MUCH hair on the brush. Or if I put it in a ponytail and slide my hand down the ponytail in a fist, I end up with a bunch of hair in my hand. Maybe law school can't kill you, but I'm pretty sure it can make you bald. Doesn't that make you want to go to law school? Dr. Google tells me that stress-related hair loss isn't permanent, which is good because I'm not sure who exactly would hire a bald female attorney to represent them...

I may come to regret making this next statement later in my life, but I was telling Jeff the other day that when I hear stay at home moms say stuff like "this is by far the most challenging and difficult job I've ever had!" I just think to myself that if/when I actually do stay home with kids myself, I fully believe I'll say things like "this is a really hard/challenging/tough job, but it's nothing compared to going through finals week at law school."

All that to say... forgive me for giving you yet another Crock-Pot recipe. It's pretty clear that I'm too busy for extravagant cooking these days. But, I keep surprising myself with how yummy Crock-Pot meals can be, so here's another one (passed along from my law school friend Courteney, who also doesn't have time for extravagant dinners)!


Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
4 frozen chicken breasts (I always use frozen chicken in the Crock-Pot because I think it keeps it from getting dry, but I should mention that with chicken, you MUST make sure it's cooked all the way through before eating it! I usually use the longer "low" setting.)
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
4 oz sliced swiss cheese (about 6 slices)
1 (6 oz) package herbed dry bread stuffing mix
1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1. Mix the milk and soup in a bowl.
2. Pour some of the soup mixture into the bottom of the Crock-Pot (just enough to cover the bottom).
3. Place chicken breasts in the Crock-Pot.
4. Top chicken with swiss cheese slices.
5. Pour remaining soup on top of the chicken and cheese.
6. Sprinkle stuffing mix over the top.
7. Drizzle melted butter over the stuffing mix.
8. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. 
9. 10 minutes before finished cooking, stir it up a little in the Crock-Pot to make sure the stuffing on the very top doesn't end up crunchy.

This is the stuffing I use.

Milk and soup mixture

Soup, then chicken, then cheese...

... then the rest of the soup, then stuffing, then butter.

Cooking...

Yum!!

I forgot to take photos of the finished product until we'd already started eating, but this is pretty much what it looks like! Haha. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. this sounds a lot like a casserole my mom makes! she adds tomatoes too.

    as a nanny and soon-to-be homemaker, i actually agree with your statement. adam has a cousin who is an er doctor, married to an ob-gyn. they have almost one-year-old twins. we asked which was harder - having two newborns or going through residency. without any hesitation, they said residency!

    good luck with your last final. you're so close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I currently have chicken tortilla soup in our crock pot and I might have to try out this recipe sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete