Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hope you're all having a day full of quality time with family and friends, and I hope you're enjoying some yummy food!

Here are a few of the many things I'm thankful for this year:

First and foremost, my sweet husband.
I certainly never planned on meeting the love of my life at the age of 14, but I'm sure glad I did. He may not be perfect, but he's perfect for me in every possible way. From the little things to the big things, he's the reason my day-to-day life is so meaningful and full of joy. I love, love, love being married to such an amazing man.


Our very first home.
We certainly didn't start the year thinking we'd become homeowners in 2011, but we're loving every second of it. Our new house just feels like home so much more than I ever imagined, and I often walk around just thinking about how amazing it is that this lovely house actually belongs to us.


My parents and sisters.
Family is a wonderful thing. On top of all the friendship and emotional support that they provide, they've been super helpful in a practical way this year as well. My mom sometimes makes extra dinner and freezes it and gives it to me when I'm having a particularly busy week at school. My dad is always willing to take time out of his busy day to answer my questions about the oil and gas industry (I'm taking an Oil & Gas Law class right now). Both of my parents were a HUGE help with our big backyard project. And my sisters... they keep me sane. I just have such fun with them. The way they look up to me inspires me to be a better person.


My in-laws.
It feels weird typing "in-laws" because I really don't think of them that way. They're more like just another branch of my own family. I know so many people have unfortunate issues with their spouse's family, and I just can't imagine having to deal with that. Jeff's family is truly wonderful, and even though we've only been married for a little over a year, I just kind of feel like I belong, which is such a blessing. Jeff's parents are planning on moving to South Carolina when they retire, and it just makes my heart so sad that we won't get to see them as often. I think it's going to be harder for me than for Jeff. Not joking.


Law School.
Shocker, right? What I mean is this: I'm thankful for the opportunity to go to law school, learn, and work towards reaching some big goals. Sure, the reading and finals and such are tough (really tough), but it really is a blessing that I'm able to be doing this. There are so many places in the world where this wouldn't be possible (especially for me, being a female and all), and I do feel blessed to be able to do what I'm doing with my life.


Jeff's Confirmation:
This was huge for us. I actually just went back and read my post on it, and I cried just thinking about the things we went through to get to that point.


Employment.
I feel so lucky that Jeff has a good, stable job that he enjoys. I know what a big deal that is in today's economy, and his job is largely the reason why we've been able to avoid law school debt and save up a house down payment all at the same time. Also, I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have my own job lined up for next summer... a job that will most likely turn into a full-time, post-graduation offer! I feel very blessed to be in that position.


My pretty red kitchen appliances.
This may seem silly, but cooking/baking is what I do for fun... it's a stress-reliever and a hobby of sorts. So it honestly improves my life when I'm cooking with appliances I love. Plus, they were all wedding gifts from people I love, which makes them even better.


Spirals & Spatulas.
Where to begin? This blog means so much to me... it's my diary, my scrapbook, my study break, and my recipe box all rolled into one. Plus, I get to connect with so many of you wonderful readers and share thoughts and ideas and I just love that! I just love that I'm recording the day-to-day goings on of our little family... it's so fun to be able to look back and re-live exciting moments in our lives!

Three Thanksgivings.
We're doing three Thanksgivings today (my dad's extended family, Jeff's family, my mom's extended family). With 1-hour drives in between each one, It can either be a stressful day full of schedules and hurried rushing around, or it can be a day full of joy and thanksgiving for the blessing of SO MANY families to celebrate with. Today, I'm choosing joy.


The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Really, this should've been first. I don't broadcast my faith often on the blog, but really - I am so in awe of a God that would send his son to give up his life in order to save little old me. Every Sunday I sit in Church, and I look up at the crucifix, and it's like Jesus is hanging up there on that cross saying to me Katie... I did THIS for YOU. How awesome that love is. There's a portion of the Catholic Mass where we say "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." It's my favorite part because it reminds me that it's okay to be unworthy. We're all so, so unworthy (and we always will be!) - but God loves us anyway. It's magnificent. Beyond that, I don't know how I would survive without prayer and faith. I firmly believe that all of my good grades, achievements, etc. have been God acting through me... using me as some part of a grand plan... and I love that. I love that on the days when I just can't take it anymore, I can just hand it over to God and He takes it. He takes it and turns it into something wonderful. Even when I don't see the plan right away, and even when my prayers don't seem to be getting answered, He has a plan. And it's a good plan. And THAT is so, so comforting.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, ornament swap partner! This post is so sweet and full of joy and I'm so glad I get to "meet" you through the ornament swap! Glad you have so many things to be thankful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last thing you are thankful for! I cant wait till the new translation comes out today so we can say, "Lord, I am not worthy for you to enter into my house..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through last week's Mingle Monday, and love how thankful you are! Amazing and inspiring. You and your husband are adorable, and I love your blog!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete