Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gran-mom's Pumpkin Pie

To finish up Day Two of Pumpkin Weekend, here's a tried-and-true family recipe!


When I was in fifth or sixth grade, my Gran-mom taught me how to make the pumpkin pie that she serves every Thanksgiving. Ever since then, pumpkin pies have been my job for the holidays, and it's a job I take very seriously!

Last year's pies!

My sister, my Gran-mom, my mom, and me!

We brought a pie to every Thanksgiving last year... we just spent the day driving pies around the Dallas /Ft. Worth area! Haha!

I know there are some people who just don't like pumpkin pie, but among those who do, this one is generally loved by all!


Recipe from my Gran-mom.

Ingredients:
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (I use the Pillsbury rolled ones... they're delicious!)
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Mix the pumpkin, condensed milk, eggs, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl until well-blended.
2. Place the pie crust in a pie dish, and pour the pumpkin filling into it. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, and roll down the edges of the pie shell to form a crust.
3. Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes
4. Serve alone, or with Cool Whip, vanilla ice cream, or even Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream!

Filling ingredients

Pie crust

Filling in!

(sides of the crust rolled down)


I tried something fancy this time and tried to do the cute pie crust braid thing that's going around Pinterest. I took an extra pie crust and sliced thin strips with a pizza cutter, then braided them and put them around the edges of the pie:





It actually turned out pretty well, although they did slip off and into the filling a bit. 



Ta-da!

Enjoy!

1 comment: