Monday, November 21, 2011

Coconut Chicken with Apricot Sauce

My mother-in-law passed this recipe along to me and I was so excited! I really like coconut chicken, but every recipe I looked at before this one used coconut milk and a bunch of other weird stuff that I didn't want to go buy for one recipe. But this one is just simple ingredients, AND it tastes delicious!


The recipe has a mustard-based apricot sauce, which Jeff loved, but I didn't eat (due to a hatred for mustard). I think it's delicious without the sauce, and Jeff liked it with, so you could go either way!

Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup butter, melted

For sauce:
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tbsp dijon mustard

Directions:
1. Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Mix the coconut, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a second bowl.
3. One at a time, dip the chicken breasts into the beaten egg, then coat them with the coconut mixture.
4. Place the coated chicken breasts in a lightly-greased baking dish. Drizzle melted butter evenly over the top.
5. Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes, flipping the breasts about halfway though.
6. While the chicken bakes, (if making the sauce), mix the apricot preserves and dijon mustard in a small bowl. Serve over chicken.

Beaten egg

Coconut mixture ingredients

Coating the chicken...

Coated and in the pan!

Mmmm, butter! Ready for the oven!

Sauce ingredients

Apricot Sauce

Flipped halfway through...

All done!

Yumm!! (without the sauce)

... and here it is with the sauce!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I found this recipe (or one that's extremely close) on pinterest a while back and I love it! I also hate mustard and I actually don't mind the sauce. The apricot really covers the mustard taste and I think it really makes the dish (I don't cover the chicken in it, just dip it). You should try a little of the sauce, you might be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kelly - haha, I did try it... I stuck my finger in it and tasted it, and it resulted in a horrible squinched up face. I just really don't like mustard. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I made it I used apricot preserves. Last time I made it, I switched to apricot fruit spread. Liked the spread better for the sauce as it was not as sweet. Good either way!!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete