Monday, February 27, 2012

Little House Updates

We've been doing the change-and-rearrange thing in the house a bit lately. I mentioned some of these little updates in my house tour video, but I figured some pictures would be good as well!

First up, the half bathroom:


These prints used to be in my bedroom in my College Station apartment, then in our bedroom in our old apartment, and now they're in the half bathroom! I'm so glad to finally have something on that wall (and I didn't even have to buy anything!).


I also just love how they look reflected in the mirror...


I finally got around to getting a trash can and toilet paper solution for the half bathroom as well. Oil-rubbed bronze for the win!



Next up, we bought another table at the antique auction! It's happily living in the entryway:


Honestly, we weren't even actively looking for a table for that spot, but I absolutely fell in love with this one and had to bid on it. We were bidding against a couple other people, so I was pretty excited when we won it! It's from somewhere in England and was made sometime in the 1910s or 1920s. I just love buying things at the antique auction because everything is solid wood, and we get things for much less money than we would spend at Ballard Designs or Pier 1 or something!

So pretty!

I love the carving on the whole table (this is the bottom shelf).

This is the tabletop...

Beautiful!

Obviously I still need to figure out what to put on that wall and what to put on the table. 

The biggest recent change happened in the living room. We started to realize that we needed some more seating, so we embarked upon a search for two chairs. After a dozen furniture stores and no luck, we were a little discouraged. But, then Jeff stumbled upon these chairs at HomeGoods (and sent me a text message photo), and I told him to hurry up and buy those babies before someone else did! It's SO rare to find two matching chairs at HomeGoods, and they're just what I wanted!



We bought a table (at the antique auction, of course) to go between the chairs.


It's perfect for holding my favorite lamp and some coasters.


I love how the chairs look with the square mirror wall, and it's been SO GREAT to have two more spots for people to sit.


Oh, and that suzani pillow? I bought two of them at Bed Bath & Beyond for $4.99 each! I have no idea why they were so marked down, but I was a happy camper! I put the second one on the couch.



Anyway, remember how that wall used to look?


I think it's much better now.


But don't worry... we didn't get rid of the pretty console table. It has a new home in the dining room!



I bought a little candleholder and a gold Tahari Home platter (both on clearance at HomeGoods!), so for now that's what's sitting on the table (along with our wine cork jar). I'm still not sure how I'll end up decorating that wall, but for now this is what it looks like. Have you noticed that our whole house is one large work in progress? Haha.

Oh, and speaking of the dining room, we did decide to rotate the dining table and put in the leaf (thanks for your opinions about that in this post!). As for the chandelier, it's not moving. Yes, it still bothers me that it's off-center, but it would be really difficult to move (because we have a 2nd-story room above the dining room) and it would probably leave a noticeable spot on the ceiling. If this was our "forever home," I'd do it, but it's not, so it's staying put.


From this angle, you can't even tell that it's off-center. :)

I found this Calvin Klein runner at HomeGoods and put it on the table...

I still need to press out the creases...


The bowl was a Christmas gift from my aunt and uncle (love the capiz details!), and the spheres came from an awesome huge bag of assorted decorative balls that I found at HomeGoods. 

Last but not least, my grandparents gave us three barstools for Christmas, and we love them! They're 1000% better than the two too-tall bar-height stools we had before. These ones are counter-height and perfect




I think the wood goes so nicely with the granite counters and the wood cabinets. Thanks, Gran & Grandpa!

Whew. I totally didn't realize how many things I've tweaked in the last couple months! What do y'all think? Which little update is your favorite?

3 comments:

  1. I luv the bar stools and have been looking for ones like these. Any ideas where your Grandparents purchased these?

    ::Thanks::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teana! We actually found them at Lowe's and my grandparents gave us a gift card to purchase them. They were out of stock in our local store in January, so we had to order them off the website - here's the link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_312835-16336-03-4359E_0__?productId=3107653&Ntt=oval+barstool&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Doval%2Bbarstool&facetInfo=

      I hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Way to go! All the updates look great! I love what you did to the living room (LOVE those chairs!) and also the bathroom looks nice too. It's amazing what a little rearranging and adding can do!

    ReplyDelete