Monday, March 14, 2011

Chicken & Swiss Pockets

Puff pastry is my new favorite. Seriously, I'm in love. I can't get enough of the golden brown flakiness! Plus, it makes things look super impressive!


Recipe very loosely adapted from Real Simple magazine

Ingredients:
1 package frozen puff pastry
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 cups chopped/shredded cooked chicken (about two chicken breasts, or just use a rotisserie chicken!)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 egg

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 400.
2) Thaw the puff pastries on the counter according to package directions. Use a pizza cutter to slice each one in half, and stretch them out a little.
3) Mix the chicken, peas, cheese, and basil in a bowl.
4) Place 1/4 of the chicken mixture into the center of each puff pastry.
5) Fold the sides of the pastry over and pinch the seams shut.
6) Mix the egg with 1 tbsp water, and brush the egg wash over the tops of your pastries.
7) Bake for 25-35 minutes (on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray), or until the tops are golden brown and the pastry is cooked through.

This is my chicken. I just seasoned three frozen chicken breasts and stuck them in the oven @ 350 for 45 minutes.

This is the seasoning I used. I have no idea what's in it, but it's delicious! Jeff got it from a business convention, oddly enough. Most companies give away stress balls and pens, but this one gives away a spice blend!


Puff pastries thawing on the counter...

Cutting it in half...


Look! Frappuccino basil! I had only ever seen basil sold in little pouches before this, but I'm a big fan of the cup!

Plus, the leaves were HUGE!

Here's the chicken mixture pre-mixing.

See how I stretched the puff pastry out a little? 



Yumm! I've found it works better to bake them seam-side up... it may not look as pretty, but it prevents the cheese from oozing out as much.