Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Still Not Homeowners...

Remember when I posted pictures of the beautifulest townhouse in the whole wide world that house that Jeff and I found and seriously considered putting an offer on? Remember how I asked you to find something wrong with it and talk me out of it and you all did a horrible, horrible job? Haha.

Well, after lots (and lots and lots) of considering and counting and crying and other verbs that start with "c," we decided to just stay where we are and let someone else have the pretty house - at least for now. We've been to see it twice, and let me tell you - the house itself is absolutely perfect. There's not a single thing I would change (except that it doesn't have blinds right now, and I would want some of those). But, we're not totally sold on the area the house is in. It would make our morning commutes slightly longer, and it's just not as nice as the area that we live in now.

But really - this is the perfect kitchen!

Of course, the area we live in now has houses that have "butler's quarters" and wine cellars and six-car garages. And they cost many millions of dollars. So whenever we do buy a house, we're inevitably going to be moving somewhere that's not quite as nice. But, I don't think either one of us was really ready to do it just yet.

For example, this house is for sale down the street for $8.9 million.

If either Jeff or I had felt really strongly that we should just go for it, then we probably would have. But, we were both so undecided that we decided all the hesitation was a sign that we should just stay in our little apartment for now. Also, just so you get the full picture, I should tell you that there may or may not have been one night when we were really close to deciding to put an offer on it, and I randomly and totally unexpectedly began bawling my eyes out at the thought of someone else living in our apartment. There was lots of "but, but, but this is our first home togetherrrrr" and "remember when we found this apartment and we said is was perfect, and now it thinks we don't like it anyyymooooore" and "but, but they'll give someone else my kitchen... sniffle, and it'll probably be some guy who won't clean it... and he'll ruin my oven....sniff sniff"and "we just hung cur- sniffle - curtains...."

The first kitchen I ever fell in love with. I still can't bear the thought of letting someone else cook in it, apparently. 

Of course, that prompted Jeff to suggest that we move as soon as possible before I get any more emotionally attached (just kidding - sort of), but it prompted me to fall back in love with my cute little apartment and stop daydreaming about the cute little townhouse so much. So, for now at least, we're staying put. No promises though - if that house is still on the market in a couple months, who knows what will happen!

At the very least, this whole experience has prompted me to pay attention more in my Property class and really concentrate on a recent unit on real estate in my Law Practice Strategies class. I've got quite a bit of knowledge stored up on this whole real estate thing, so when the right house comes along, we'll be ready!

6 comments:

  1. at least you're getting there - sending positive thoughts your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont settle! every thing happens for a reason, you'll get your house someday. xoxo jcd :: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I are in the market for buying our first house. We haven't lived in a house in a very long time so both of us are way too eager. Fortunately, we're moving out of Chicago and into Louisville where his family lives and where he grew up. But this way we're able to really take our time with decisions and I think we're going to learn a lot once things get more serious. I just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a little sad leaving our apartment, because he proposed to me there. So I totally get you being upset to leave the first place y'all lived. But I'm very excited for all of the memories we're creating in our first home together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what neighborhood you're talking about and I wouldn't want to leave it either! So you guys grew up in the suburbs and now love inside the loop. Which area do you think you'd want to buy a house in? I know housing in the city can be really expensive, but the commute to the suburbs can be horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that kitchen is awesome..

    You guys will get there! Don't worry, it'll happen! :)

    ReplyDelete