Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken and Quinoa Burritos

I used to never ever worry about how healthy my recipes were. Until law school happened, I had this rockstar metabolism that allowed me to eat a bowl of ice cream every night if I wanted. But now, I spend most of my day sitting on chairs or couches reading law books, and I'm just not the active person I used to be. So I've put on a few pounds in the tummy region.

My husband never had the super-quick metabolism thing going for him, so he used to be much more conscious than me about what he eats (with the exception of Saturday lunch at Whataburger, of course!). But, since we've been married I've been cooking most of our meals, and they're usually full of lots of yummy things like carbs and cheese. Plus, my incessant baking doesn't help.

So I came to the conclusion that it would be good for both of us if I started making healthier things for dinner. That's where this recipe came in...

Chicken & Quinoa Burritos
adapted from Real Simple magazine

Ingredients:
whole-wheat tortillas (4)
cooked, shredded chicken (1 cup - I used the rotisserie kind because they were on sale at Kroger)
warm black beans (1 cup - we omitted this because I forgot to buy them)
cooked quinoa or brown rice (1 cup)
grated Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup)
cilantro sprigs (1 cup)
low-fat Greek yogurt (1/2 cup)

Directions:
Put it all on a tortilla and roll it into a burrito. Duh.

Greek yogurt.

This is the kind we used...

Chicken.

Cilantro. 

Brown rice...

And cheese!

Then add the cilantro (this is Jeff's plate... mine only had like half that much on it. He likes his food to have strong flavors).

I don't have a picture of them rolled up, but you get the idea. :o)

Jeff really liked this recipe. He ate the leftovers for dinner the next night and was just as excited about it the second time.

I, on the other hand, reaffirmed my suspicion that I don't like healthy food. I think whole wheat tortillas taste like cardboard. I think Greek yogurt is just a not-as-great version of sour cream. And it smells weird. So if you're like me, don't mess with this recipe. But, if you actually like whole wheat tortillas and Greek yogurt, go for it! 

1 comment:

  1. I like to cook healthy, but I'm not really a fan of the whole wheat tortillas. I do like to cook from the weight watchers cookbook. The food is good and tasty.

    ReplyDelete