Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

I made real chicken cordon bleu once. You know, with the tenderizing of the chicken, and stuffing it with ham and swiss, and breading, and cooking, and such. It was a LOT of work. It was delicious, but it's been over three years since then and I don't plan on doing it again any time soon.

Now that I've found this recipe, I'll probably never do it the real way again! This casserole has all the flavors of great chicken cordon bleu, but it's SO EASY!


Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
2 pounds of chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
about 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (for coating the chicken)
1 1/2 cup milk
1 egg
8 oz shredded swiss cheese
8 oz ham, chopped into small pieces (I just used packaged sliced ham)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup (preferably the low-sodium kind, so it's healthier and not too salty)
olive oil

Directions:
1. Mix egg in a bowl with 1/2 cup milk. Put bread crumbs in another bowl. Dip chicken in the milk/egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the breaded chicken in the skillet until golden.
3. Place chicken in a 9x11 dish. Spread cheese and ham over the top of the chicken.
4. Mix the soup with 1 cup milk and pour it on top of the chicken, ham, and cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Bite-size chicken!

Mixing the egg with the milk...

Here's my breading station. I just dropped them right into the skillet from there.

{I don't have photos of browning the chicken in the skillet because my hands were messy!!}

Ham and Swiss

Chicken, browned and in the dish

Soup-Milk mixture

Ready for the oven!

Baking...

Ta-da!

Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment