Thursday, October 27, 2011

Backyard Bumblebees

The backyard project has definitely been hard work, but sometimes it's really nice to just be outside and enjoy nature a bit. Jeff hasn't mowed the backyard in a while (he's been too focused on planting, adjusting sprinkler heads, etc.), so these pretty patches of light purple flower weeds have popped up:



I know they're weeds, but I kind of love them. They're just really dainty and pretty.



I even picked some to put in my kate spade vases in the piano room:



We were outside finishing up Phase One of our backyard project last night, and I noticed that a bunch of little bumblebees were busy pollinating the little purple flowers. It was amazing to me because from a few feet away you can't even tell they're there, but when you get up close to the flowers, you can see them buzzing away! 


I followed one bee around the yard for a while, and it was just so interesting to see him go from flower to flower. Sometimes a gust of wind would come and he would get blown away, but he would just land wherever the wind took him and continue pollinating those flowers. Sometimes he'd stay on one flower for quite a while, and other times he would land on one and then jump back up right away. Maybe there are good flowers and bad flowers? I'm actually pretty afraid of bees, but these ones were so occupied with the flowers that they didn't seem to even know I was there. Plus, they're kind of fuzzy and cute up close!


I was wishing I had a better camera to take close-up photos, but the macro setting on my Canon point-and-shoot did pretty well:





Isn't that amazing?! I thought it was so interesting to just watch those bees. Even the smallest of God's creatures are unique and intricately made!

No comments:

Post a Comment