Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Few Random Things...

I have a whole collection of little things that I've been meaning to blog about, but none of them are really substantial enough for their own post, so this is a collection of a bunch of random things!

1) VISITORS! (aka... Gosh I Love My Family!)

We've had some visitors recently - my Aunt Tracie, Uncle Chris, and cousin Christopher came to visit and saw the house for the first time, and then my Grandmom and Granddad came a week later! I love showing off the house (plus it motivates me to clean everything! haha!).

With Uncle Chris & Aunt Tracie

With my sisters and my cousin, Christopher

With Grandmom and Granddad

My aunt and uncle brought us this adorable wooden sign, personalized with our last name and our college logos!

I SO wish I didn't have to blur it out... privacy shmivacy!

2) INTERVIEWS! (aka... Why I Haven't Been Blogging Lately)

I've been interviewing like crazy for next summer's internships. In law school, you interview for 2nd summer jobs at the start of your 2nd year, and then you hope you get a full-time post-graduation offer from whoever you interned with after Year 2. So basically, I've been trying to plan what I'll be doing over two years from now! I started with on-campus interviews (15 interviews, each for 20 minutes with 2 interviewers), and then I received 13 offers for in-office interviews (12 of which I accepted).

In the last two weeks I've gone to six different law firms, interviewed with 6-10 different people at each one, and gone out to lunches/dinners with each firm. Busy, busy, busy! If you're keeping count, that's upwards of 50 interviews in the last 3 weeks!

I have good news though - I received an offer from the law firm that was at the very top of my list, and I've accepted it! They're a big international firm with a great reputation, and I'll be in the Houston office, which is one of their smaller offices. It's kind of the best of both worlds... all the resources of a huge firm, but a smaller office atmosphere where everyone knows everyone else. I'm really excited!

The best part of this whole thing is that I can cancel the six interviews that I have scheduled for the next two weeks, and I can actually spend my time going to class or being with Jeff (rather than running around downtown Houston interviewing all the time!).

3) SPICE RACKS! (aka I Love Organizing Things!)

Okay, I could've sworn I blogged about this already, but I can't find it in the archives so I guess I didn't. Our pantry got a little update - spice racks!


I was entirely too excited about the whole thing, and I spent quite a bit of time deciding on the best way to organize my spices. In the end, I organized them by brand, and then alphabetically:



So pretty!!

4) GUEST ROOM CURTAINS! (aka Still Need to Hem Them...)

We hung one of the curtains from the old apartment's guest room in the new house's guest room:


I still need to either 1) hem it, or 2) install a tie-back thing on the left side. I'm also considering chopping the whole thing in half... it just seems so wide for that little window! I still love the black & white striped curtain though (from Ikea), and I'm so happy with the new curtain rod and it's spiral finials (from HomeGoods).

5) RUGS (aka I Finally Threw Away the Old Gross One that We Used to Have)

We had this one little rug that used to be by the sink at the apartment... and we put it by the garage door at the new house, but it was just really old and dirty and no matter how many times I washed it and vacuumed it and scrubbed it, it was just old. But I'm super picky about rugs, so it took forever for me to find something else I liked. But, I finally did... at Kohls!

Ta-da! New rug!


And on top of that, I found another larger matching one a few weeks later and bought it for the front door:



I love how they look with the tile, and I love how they match the pillows on the antique bench. Pretty Rugs = Happy Katie. 

6) AN AQUA HOURGLASS! (aka I Love Finding Cute Stuff at HomeGoods!)

I've been trying to add a little bit of aqua to the guest room to soften up the black and red, and I found the perfect little accent the other day - an aqua hourglass!



I think it looks so cute on the desk in there! When I showed it to Jeff, the first thing he said was "How much time does it measure?" I was a little caught off-guard because I honestly hadn't even thought about it measuring time... I just thought it was cute, you know? So I told him I had no idea, and he looked at me like I was crazy with this expression that said It's an hourglass... it's purpose in life is to measure time... why would you buy one without knowing? It was one of those moments that perfectly showcased our personality differences. We had a good laugh about it, and then we flipped it over and started a timer (one hour, if anyone was wondering!).

Whew. What a long post! Now you're all caught up on the random happenings over here! I hope everyone has a lovely Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment