Monday, September 26, 2011

DIY Striped Bow Pillow

I had some fabric left over from my chair refinishing project, so I used it to make a pillow for the piano room! I was inspired by a cute striped pillow on Pinterest (does anyone else feel like ALL of their projects come from Pinterest these days?):


I followed this tutorial. It's really easy to follow and well-written, so I'm not going to bother re-writing everything here. I did resize everything because I wanted a 16x16 pillow rather than an 18x18, but that was as simple as subtracting two inches from some of the pieces.

If you make one of these pillows, keep in mind that she used a very light jersey fabric in the tutorial. I was working with a thicker upholstery-weight fabric, which made it impossible to just slide the two bow pieces through the center loop. Instead, I just hand-stitched the long piece to the pillow, gathering it in the middle. Then I put the side bow loops through the center loop (with a lot of pulling and pushing and tugging), and stitched that down on top. In hindsight, it would have been way easier to make the center loop a little larger.

Here are my pieces... (and a law school textbook - they're everywhere!)

...and here's the finished product!

I'm really happy with my newest pillow! Plus, he just looks so cute sitting that chair!


I love this room more and more... it's so fun, but it's like sophisticated fun. Or something. Haha. I just like it!

6 comments:

  1. You did such a great job! Love the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond adorable, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I just made one myself and am digging it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! The tutorial for this project was taken down and I can't find it anywhere! Do you happen to know of any that provide instructions for this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! The tutorial for this project was taken down and I can't find it anywhere! Do you happen to know of any that provide instructions for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen!

      The link still works for me, so I'm not sure why it won't work for you, but here's the direct link: http://www.e-tells-tales.com/2011/03/tutorial-bow-pillow-cover-win-pillow.html

      Hope that helps!

      Katie

      Delete