Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shrimp & Wild Rice Casserole

This is one of Jeff's favorites. Plus, it's pretty simple to make. Easy AND a husband-pleaser? That means I'm a big fan!


Here's the recipe, adapted from this Paula Deen one.

Ingredients:
8 oz wild rice (I used the kind that comes in the plastic pouch that you just microwave)
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Cook the rice. If you're not using the fancy microwave pouch kind, subtract 1/4 cup water.
2. Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, and cook the shrimp for 1 minute (just one!). Drain immediately and set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a saucepan and saute the pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes
4. Preheat your oven to 325
5. In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, soup, rice, vegetables, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
6. Lightly spray an 8x8 or 11x7 pan with cooking spray.
7. Place the mixture in the dish and top with the last 1/2 cup of cheese.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
9. Let it cool for a bit if you want it to be thicker than it is in my photo, below. We were really hungry and couldn't wait. :)

Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! We have some leftover crab and I might try to make this with it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what my family had for dinner tonight, just not in casserole form! My dad wanted to make two of my favorite foods for my last night at home over the break. :) I may try this recipe out on my roommates!

    ReplyDelete