Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Zuppa Toscana

I think "Zuppa Toscana" is Italian for "Tuscan Soup." Or something like that. Anyway, this recipe was supposed to be a copycat version of Olive Garden's zuppa toscana. I've never actually had the zuppa toscana at Olive Garden, so I can't say whether or not this is a good copycat recipe, but I can tell you that it's delicious and perfect for a chilly evening!


Also, I have to tell y'all... this recipe was the first time I ever cooked with kale. I thought I was all hip and healthy putting "kale" on my shopping list. Then, when I found it at the grocery store, I was so surprised. Do y'all know what kale is? It's the stuff they put in little rows as decoration at the fish/meat counter! It's a green leafy garnish that apparently is now for eating too.


Anyway, my first kale-eating experience wasn't particularly exciting. I didn't really think it tasted like anything. But it made the soup look pretty with the green color, and the texture was nice I suppose. Haha.

Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage
2 large russet potatoes, sliced in quarters length-wise, then cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1 bag real bacon bits
1 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped kale
2 cans chicken broth
4 cups water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. Cook sausage in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes. Drain on paper towels and cut into slices.
2. Place onions, potatoes, chicken broth, water, and garlic in a pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
3. Add in sausage, bacon, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Turn heat down to low and add kale and cream. Heat through and serve.

(sausages out of the oven)

(draining)

(onions, potatoes, and garlic in chicken broth and water)

(sausage chopped up + the bacon bits)

(after adding sausage and bacon bits)

(chopped kale + heavy cream)

(just about finished!)

YUMMM!

Ta-da!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love this soup and is the only thing I have ever ordered at Olive Garden!! Thanks for the recipe. Sue

    ReplyDelete