Friday, January 6, 2012

Five Things

Today's post is full of random thoughts. 'Cause that's what's on my mind today.


1. Why I Hate Couponing

I don't like couponing. I try, and it just makes me mad. It turns out that it's not at all like it looks on Extreme Couponing on TV. First of all, I usually buy store-brand groceries, but the coupons are usually for name brand groceries. And even with the coupon, the name brand stuff is still more expensive. Also, it frustrates me that there are no coupons for fresh fruits and veggies and meat. That's what I probably spend the most money on.

Also, what's with the "$1 off when you buy four" sorts of coupons? As if I need four giant packs of toilet paper?!?! There are only two of us, and we spend the majority of our waking hours at school/work, and we just don't pee enough at home to go through a giant package very quickly.

Sometimes I do clip coupons for cleaning stuff or shampoo or something... but then I take them to Wal-Mart and 4 times out of 5 the cashier forgets to scan them before completing the transaction, and then I have to go stand in the Customer Service line for 25 minutes next to a smelly man just to get my three dollars or whatever. SO annoying. I'm giving up.


2. The Blog Would be Weird if I Died

I usually write a few blog posts at a time, and then I schedule them to post over the next few days (Ahh! I just let y'all in on a big secret!). Sometimes, I write posts a month or so in advance and schedule them to post in a few weeks (especially for things like New Year's Eve, or our anniversary, or other special days). I wrote a TON of scheduled posts in November so that y'all would have something to read in December while I was studying for finals and not blogging (it turns out I'm not some sort of Superwoman who can blog and study and cook and stay sane all at the same time).

Lately, I've been writing some Christmas-related posts that I didn't have a chance to finish pre-Christmas (recipes and DIY projects mostly), and I'm scheduling them for next December, so they'll be seasonally-appropriate when they go live in eleven months. But all the scheduling way in advance has me thinking... what if I were to die unexpectedly in 2012?  I mean... you'd all be shocked and my family would be sad and all... and the blog would just fade away... and for a few months there would be nothing coming out of Spirals and Spatulas. And then, in December 2012... all of the sudden posts would start getting published, and I'd re-appear on all your Google Readers, and you'd all be like Oh my goodness... she's posting from the grave! Is that a totally weird thought? Probably.

3. Chickening Out

When we moved into the house, I was all "I want to paint the guest room aqua!" and "Let's paint the piano room green!" Then I changed my mind, and I decided I actually like the neutrals + black look of the piano room, and I like the creamy tan walls in the guest room. It's not that I don't want to paint... I actually find painting to be pretty enjoyable and rewarding, but I just like the tan. Does this mean I'm growing up and becoming boring? Am I afraid of ruining my pretty house? Maybe I'm just discovering ways to personalize it without painting bold colors? Maybe I'm growing up? I don't know. I mean... the apartment had a bright red wall that I loved... but now I'm Mrs. Beige all the sudden. What's up with that?

4. Wedding Withdrawals

I'm having wedding withdrawals. I loved planning our wedding, and then the next year I was a bridesmaid and got to help plan other people's weddings, but now... I just miss it. I'm craving color-coordinated DIY projects and flowers and romance. I miss designing save-the-dates and ceremony programs and day-of timelines. I miss searching Etsy for the perfect earrings, or the perfect birdcage veil, or the perfect garter.

I'm strongly considering volunteering to help with wedding coordination at church. It wouldn't be any DIY or decor or anything, but I'd at least get to do the ceremony-organizing stuff and see a marriage be born every now and then (and seriously, Catholic churches could use a few more friendly, accommodating wedding coordinators). But really, can someone please get engaged and let me plan your wedding? I'd totally be a free day-of coordinator or something. Not even joking.

5. Law School Grades

I finally got my grades from last semester (yes, law school grades take forever to get posted). After all that worrying and stress, my GPA ended up staying exactly the same as it was before this semester. Praise God (because seriously, there's no way I pulled that off without a large amount of heaven-sent help). This means BigLawFirm will probably still like me. Potential full-time job = safe for now.

Of course, because this is law school, I got A's in (1) the class I didn't really care about because "I'll never use this in real life" and only started studying for the day before the exam, staying up all night before taking the final [aka Evidence], and (2) the class I was confused in all semester and said "Woah, what the heck was that?!? I don't think I've ever written anything so incoherent and crazy" after I finished the exam [aka Federal Income Tax]. My lowest grade was in the class that I worked really hard at all semester and told Jeff, "I SO rocked that test" after finishing the final. Silly law school.

Can anyone relate to any of that? Am I crazy for hating coupons and missing weddings and contemplating my own untimely demise? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks these things...

6 comments:

  1. I have totally wondered what would happen to my internet life if I died. I know I should get around to writing a will and all that, and in it will definitely be my internet passwords.

    I miss wedding planning, too, especially know that I know about pinterest. Dang that site and its cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us in on your little secret about scheduling your posts! I've always wondered how people can be so busy, yet so on top of it. I might start doing that. I love it. Just think what a special surprise your posts would be to the ones you love.

    I completely agree with you and Jessica. I got married almost 8 years ago, and I loved planning our wedding. I always say that if my current career doesn't work out, I'm going to be a wedding planner. ;)

    I always love reading your posts, so thank you for sharing. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Totally agree about couponing. I tried it for awhile and it's more trouble than it's worth. I do, however, use the coupons Dillons/Kroger sends us because they send ones for stuff you normally buy and they actually save you money.

    2. I've never thought about the whole dying and having scheduled posts go live months later.. That's so interesting to think about!

    3. I missed wedding planning too, which is why I now work part time in the industry! I'd love to start coordinating/planning too, but that part is still in the works. It'd be so fun to volunteer at a church!

    4. I like neutral paint colors, too. I think I'm scared of choosing a more crazy color and having it look dated within a couple years.

    5. Lastly, awesome job on your grades this semester! You're dominating this whole law school thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Couponing is stupid. I always end up spending more money. Wonderful.

    2. I'm so glad I've found a friend who thinks about death maybe just occasionally :) It's a weird thing but I bet they would make a movie out of it for you since your blog is oh so popular.

    3. When I get engaged (who knows maybe in the next century or so) you will be helping me with my wedding. I will be paying you..but you will be helping me so be forewarned.

    4. You're growing up. That's it.

    5. You are amazing. Way to excel at life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I've never thought about it if I died, but now I am! I do the same thing, so I'll have all sorts of random blog posts that show up after I'm dead. Lol

    Yep-- that sounds like law school! Nicely done though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please feel free to take over my wedding planning! I could use all of the help I can get! HA!

    ReplyDelete