Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lemon Tarts!

I'm on a lemon kick recently. If it has lemon zest in it, I will bake it excitedly. I think it has something to do with my new Martha Stewart grating set:


If you're engaged, put this on your registry NOW! You'll thank me later when you're collecting lemon zest in your cute little plastic container. 

When I saw the recipe for these on my friend Marissa's blog, I knew I had to get out my graters again. These are so cute, and so easy to make! I give this recipe five stars. :)

(adapted from Marissa's recipe)


For the tart shells: 
1/2 cup softened butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups flour


For the filling:

2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 325. 

Tart Shells: Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Blend in egg white. Add flour and mix until blended. 



Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray, and divide the dough up into 24 pieces and press into mini muffin shells.




Tart Filling: Whisk the eggs, then whisk in rest of the ingredients. Spoon filling into tart shells.


Bake 20(ish) minutes until light golden brown. Let tarts sit in the pan for a few minutes, and then remove to a wire rack. Store in the fridge. Remove from fridge 10ish minutes before serving (or else the shells will be a little hard).



I liked them, Jeff liked them, and a dozen or so of my fellow law students liked them. I even ate a few for breakfast one day!

7 comments:

  1. yay!! glad you liked them :) my fellow law schoolers are my favorite baking test subjects :)

    also, your grating set is pretty much the best idea ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That grating set looks amazing...I've always hated grating things due to the awkward angles! If only I could register all over again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Martha Stewart grating set too!! Isn't it amazing?? I love Martha... Can't wait to try the lemon tarts!! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so envious - I just have a normal grater, but one of my friends has one that empties into a container and it seems easier and so user friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!

    We registered something very similar--maybe we will get luck and get it at one of our wedding showers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @marissa - register for one! now! do it! it even has a lid so you can just grate, and then snap on the lid for storage. ah-mazing.

    @nikki - definitely try these! they're pretty easy and quite yummy!

    maybe i'll buy an extra mutli-grater and do a blog giveaway... maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete