Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Honey Soy Glazed Salmon

I told you I had some Lent seafood recipes coming your way! This one is really lovely... I think this is my favorite way to cook salmon! Plus... just 250 calories per serving!

I have to tell y'all a story though. The first time I cooked this was also the first time I ever purchased fresh salmon (rather than the frozen fillets, which are much cheaper and thus my usual purchase). I bought a beautiful 1.5 lb fillet, and I was all excited until I got home and pulled it out of the packaging and realized it still had the skin and scales on one side. I was all "Jeff! This looks like a real fish! Oh my gosh... it's all scaly! Eww it feels like a fish!"

The next twenty minutes consisted of me, using my fillet knife for the first time (it's a miracle that I even knew which one in the knife block was the fillet knife), shouting things like "ahhh there are scales going everywhere!" I've figured it out though since then (here's a website with instructions for anyone else like me), and I'm proud to say I've conquered my fear of salmon scales.

The moral of the story: this is a delicious recipe, and it's well worth a little scale snafu. :o)


Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
4 salmon fillets (4-6 oz each, you can just buy one large fillet and cut it up)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp Splenda or Stevia
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat your broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, Splenda/Stevia, and garlic.
3. Place the salmon on the baking sheet, and brush both sides of the salmon with the glaze. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Broil for 4-5 minutes on one side, then flip the fillets and broil another 4-5 minutes on the other side (or until cooked through).

(this is what you start with... see how it doesn't look like there are scales on the other side?)

(honey + soy + Splenda + garlic powder)

(after the first 4-5 minutes)

(All ready to eat! Mine always get a little broken when I flip them...)

(See all that black stuff on the pan? That's why you want to line the baking sheet with foil!)

(yummy!)

(Jeff really likes peas.)

Ta-da!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the scales story! I will have to try this one of these Lenten Fridays!

    ReplyDelete