Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Love

I'm a lucky girl to have so many wonderful mothers to celebrate today!

My mom has always been the person in the world that I most want to be like when I grow up. The older I get the more I appreciate the way that she puts her family ahead of everything else in her life. No matter when I call her she's always ready to hear about my latest dilemma/challenge/accomplishment/excitement. Second to Jeff, she's been by far my biggest support throughout my first year of law school, and I feel so humbled by how much she believes in me. She's pretty much the best mom a girl could ever ask for.



Sidenote: didn't my Mom look just gorgeous at our wedding? That dress was so pretty on her!

I'm also very lucky to have such a wonderful mother-in-law! I hear horror stories of girls that have such issues with their mother-in-law, and I just thank God that I totally don't have that problem! Mine is so sweet and wonderful and so down to earth, and on top of all that she's an amazing sewer and she's currently working on our guest book quilt from the wedding (which she won't let me see until it's finished! Agh!). Plus, she raised a wonderful son. :o)


I have wonderful grandmas as well! 

This is my Gran-Mom. She raised five children to be loving, faith-filled, genuinely kind people, and for that - I think she's a miracle worker. She finds such joy in everyday life, and I'm continually trying to be more like her. From Gran-Mom I've learned how to make a great pumpkin pie, that all special occasions should be celebrated, and that as long as you've got God and your family, everything will be just fine.

This is Gran. Gran has a closet in her house that is to this day full of construction paper, school supplies, glitter glue, and other assorted crafty things like old zippers. My cousins and I had SO much fun using our imaginations at her house when we were little! Gran's always been there for me... in third grade I had a social studies project that required me to bring in things that represented my heritage, but I wrote the due date down wrong. When I got to school on the morning it was actually due (and had nothing), my teacher let me make a quick phone call. Gran and my mom worked fast, and an hour later there were boxes of kolaches for my whole class (Czech food!), an accordion (Czech music!), and traditional Czech clothes for me to show everyone. From Gran I've learned how to polka dance, that it IS possible for a house to be clean and organized 99% of the time (seriously, you should see her house!), and that little gifts like homemade candy and salsa are a GREAT way to show people you love them.

This is Grandma. When Jeff and I got married last summer I got to add a THIRD amazing grandmother to my family tree! Her house is full of family photos and memories, and the way she takes pride in her kids and grandkids is just so sweet and loving! From Grandma I've learned that it's perfectly okay to have dessert for dinner every now and then, that it's entirely possible to be stylish and classy even when your hair is gray and you have two generations of descendants, and that every person should be celebrated for being exactly who they are. 

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and grandmothers that are such blessings in my life!

Jeff's Grandma, Jeff's mom, me, my mom, my Gran-Mom, and my Gran

3 comments:

  1. aww how awesome you have a picture with all of the amazing women in your life.

    before i even saw your sidenote below the pic of your mom and you i was thinking how gorgeous that blue dress looks on her. thats such a pretty color on her!!

    it sounds like you have a wonderful supportive family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great group of women! you ARE lucky! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that picture of all you is so special! i love it!

    ReplyDelete