Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oh, Law School.

For those of you who want to know more about "what law school is like," this has been my life for the past five or six days...


I'm working on something called an appellate brief. It's basically like a giant final paper for my Legal Research & Writing class. I actually started it quite some time ago, but I'm down to the last week so it's crunch time now. I started by taking over just half the couch with my appellate brief assignment, but then the case printouts multiplied and I annexed the other half. Then the citation guides and sample briefs and random handouts joined in on the fun, and those found a home on the coffee table and the rug. And those papers on the floor that creep under the couch? That's the record from the fictional trial court that I tossed on the floor as I finished entering the important bits into my statement of facts.

Jeff was out of town last weekend, so I spent about 87% of the weekend working on the brief. Since then, I've been working on it whenever I'm not in class. So last night I slept from 2am to 6am, and the night before I slept from 3am to 7:20... and today I'm still awake at 12:40, taking a quick break to write this blog (which will post in the morning), and then getting back to it. Oh, and on top of all that, I'm supposed to be keeping up with my 50-pages-per-day-each reading for my other four classes. And working on my outlines to study for finals (and preparing for an upcoming mock trial, and working on a group assignment for Property... the list goes on). This is law school at its worst.

I've actually got a pretty nice system going on the couch... I have a blanket for when I get chilly, coasters stocked with soda and water, and plenty of highlighters. Jeff's been jokingly referring to it as my "nest." This will continue for another few days until Friday, at which point (one way or another) I'll turn the whole thing in. And then I will celebrate with a nice, long nap.

Sometimes, this is what law school is like. It's pretty brutal. Fingers crossed that it'll all be worth it someday?

PS - if you're still thinking about going to law school after all that, here's a fun website designed to help you decide: ShouldIGoToLawSchool.net (not created by me... haha!).

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! Does look like a bit of crazy-ness! Hope things start to look less crazy very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you posted that website on facebook the other day i showed pretty much everyone i know... it kind of made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl-- the appellate brief is the WORST!! I feel your pain. But the good news is that it doesn't last forever. Good luck on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my couch look very much the same way in the past! It is like a nest!

    ReplyDelete