Sunday, November 1, 2009

If you like Strawberry Cake...

...then this post is definitely for you!

My wonderful roommate turned 21 recently (more to come on that later!), so of course there had to be a birthday cake! Birthday cakes are one of my absolutely favorite things to bake, so I was pretty excited. :)



This cake ended up being absolutely delicious. The whole thing was gone in just over 24 hours. I could've eaten this cake with every meal for a week. It was that yummy. The yumminess is pretty surprising considering I took the easy way out and made it with cake mix (I'm a college student! I don't have time to bake from scratch every time!). I went with Duncan Hines' Strawberry Supreme and prepared it according to the directions, except for that I mixed in half a package of cream cheese in as well. Into two 8-inch cake pans it went, and out of the oven it came soon after!



I immediately inverted the cakes onto plates, and stuck both plates in the freezer. This is a trick I learned from someone, but I can't remember who! Freezing the cakes for a couple of hours keeps them from crumbling and makes them much easier to move around.

When they were out of the freezer I took a big knife and sliced each layer in two. If you're good at math, you know that I ended up with four layers! I used Strawberries 'N Cream icing and put the cake together like this:

Layer
Strawberry Jam
Layer
Icing
Layer
Strawberry Jam
Layer

Then I covered the whole thing in icing! Mmmm! I piped on the writing and the borders using my Wilton icing bags and tips, with vanilla icing dyed yellow with gel food coloring. I sooo wish I had a picture of the inside of this cake...the strawberry jam made it so cute!



My advice to you all, MAKE THIS CAKE! Even if it isn't a birthday or a holiday or anything special, just make it! My friend W (who also happens to be one of my most frequent test tasters...) declared this the Yummiest Thing Ever Made, and that definitely makes it worth a try!

Happy Baking. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment