Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Fall Tradition

Every fall my family takes a trip to a Christmas tree farm that doubles as a Pumpkin Patch during October. When I was middle school, I absolutely HATED going. My sister and I would complain the whole way there...it was a long drive, and then we had to sit in hay, and be outside for a long period of time in the heat (yes...its usually hot in October in Houston), and we just were horrible about the whole thing.

But, my mom and dad always made us come along, and now that I'm older I can look back and appreciate how hard they worked to preserve this tradition. Ironically, the pumpkin patch trip is so important to me now that this year I drove the hour-and-a-half to Houston just to be there when they went. My younger sister goes to school at TCU and couldn't get there, but I think my youngest sister was happy at least one of us was there.


It was so sunny!!

They have lots of fun Halloween decorations to take pictures by...



Eek! A spider!

And of course I had to get one of everyone "in the patch!"






Want to see the pumpkin we picked out? Here it is!



Perfect, right? Hehe.

After selecting the best pumpkin, we walked around to look at all the decorations and such.


I love moments like this because as she gets older they get fewer
and farther between. There's something about a playing
child that brings pure joy to my heart, but she's not
such a "child" anymore!

I found a bunch of "misfit" pumpkins, and they captured my attention for quite some time...


Weird pumpkins.



See its little face? Mom and I were quite amused.

K and I went off and had a little photo shoot while waiting in line for the train ride...


This picture makes me happy.

And then it was time for the train! The train drives around the property through the rows and rows of Christmas trees getting ready for December. When I was younger, I thought it would be so cool to be a Christmas tree farmer. The train ride always makes me feel a little nostalgic.







It was so nice to just spend some quality time with my family...and the weekend wasn't over yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment