Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Connor at Six Months

Time flies when you're having fun! We're having such a blast watching Connor grow up and develop his own personality and independence. Even though six months is half a year (!!!), I'm feeling okay with the passage of time this month because I can see all the progress he's making toward becoming his own little person, and isn't that the goal of parenting anyway?

IMG_0127

Connor's Stats:
Birth Weight: 6 pounds, 6.5 ounces. Current Weight: 18 pounds, 2 ounces.
Birth Length: 19.5 inches. Current Length: 26 3/4 inches.
Clothing: Wearing 9 month clothes and size 3 diapers! 

Likes:
Sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, apples, pears, bananas, and rice cereal.
His feet.
Sneezes.
Mommy and Daddy talking in Spanish.
Peekaboo.
The "A, You're Adorable" song.

Dislikes:
Avocado.
Nursing under the nursing cover.
When we won't let him drink out of our cups.

New Tricks:
Sitting unassisted.
Making G and M sounds (ga, go, ma, etc.).
Standing on his own with an ottoman or something to hold on to.
Sitting up in shopping carts and restaurant high chairs.
Sleeping through the night (usually from around 8:00pm to 7:00am, with a quick feeding around 4:00am).

Happy six months, Connor Beckett! We are so blessed that you're our little boy!

IMG_0144

3 comments:

  1. He just keeps getting cuter and cuter every month!! Isn't sitting up the best milestone? I loooove when they can sit in carts and high chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What baby food did you start with (after rice cereal)? There are so many possibilities ( and so many different opinions of how to progress through solid foods!) Would love to hear the order you tried. He sounds like such a sweet and happy baby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually kind of obsessive about this... Haha! Based on a discussion with our pediatrician and various books and websites, I categorized a bunch of fruits and veggies into "phases" based on what was easiest/hardest to digest and most/least likely to cause an allergic reaction. Phase 1 was all things I was comfortable trying before 6 months and included butternut squash, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, apples, pears, avocado, bananas, and peaches. We saved the fruits for last at my pediatrician's suggestion (so Connor wouldn't decide he only likes the sweet stuff), and I ended up going in this order: avocado, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, bananas, apples, pears.

      We still have a couple Phase 1 foods to get through before we move on to Phase 2 (carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, beets, asparagus, papaya, apricot, plum, nectarine). Phase 3 is for when he gets to 8 months at least (spinach, kale, okra, bell pepper, onion, pineapple, mango, melon), and I have a Phase 4 for 12+ months (corn, berries, kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, tomatoes).

      I'll probably start adding in puréed meats and some basic spices soon since he's six months now, and I'm planning to try oatmeal cereal soon too. I know baby-led weaning is really popular, but I didn't want to take that approach (mostly because I'm worried about gagging/choking), but I do think there are some great benefits (particularly letting him explore different textures and helping him to participate in family dinner more), so since he turned six months I've been giving him tiny pieces of my food at dinner when I feel comfortable (so far he's had tiny pieces of tortilla, pasta, and bread).

      I make my own purées for him, so I can control how smooth/chunky they are. The first ones I made were super smooth, and I've gradually been allowing them to be a little more chunky. I'm having lots of fun making his food and watching him experience different tastes!

      Delete