Friday, March 22, 2013

Five (Catholic) Things

It's been a while since I did a Five Things post, and I happen to have a bunch of random church/Catholicism-related things to talk about, so today we have five Catholic things!

1. I take a purse to church solely for the purpose of using it to mark my seat while I go to Communion. Without it, I end up going back into the wrong row on accident, and then I have to awkwardly squeeze past a bunch of strangers, which they're always nice about, but I just feel ridiculous. I don't need my wallet, keys, phone, whatever at church at all, but I always bring a purse for this purpose. Is that silly? Please tell me I'm not the only one that has issues going into the right row after Communion...

2. This blog post from a gay Catholic man in his late twenties was fascinating to me. The rest of the blog isn't bad either - I spent a good hour reading stuff on there! 

3. My engagement/wedding rings never sparkle so much as when I'm at church. It doesn't matter which church - our church, my parents' church, the church by our old apartment.... I don't know if all churches use the same amazing lights that make rings look really sparkly or what, but it always distracts me while I'm kneeling with my hands folded in front of me. But it's also kind of nice... like God's reminding me that our marriage is most radiant when we're really united with God. Does this happen to anyone else? 

4. Regarding Pope Francis: While the papal conclave was going on, people I know that aren't Catholic kept asking me if we were following it, using all our spare time to watch the TV waiting for smoke, etc. And I thought it was a little silly because, you know, I don't have a whole lot of spare time to sit and wait for smoke. But I was praying a lot for the Cardinals that were making the decision. Anyway, I wasn't following it on the news or anything. But last Wednesday afternoon it just popped into my head that I ought to Google it and see how it was going. And lo and behold, they had just elected a Pope, and the whole world was waiting for the announcement of who it was! Isn't that crazy that the one time during the whole process that I thought to check the news, it had JUST happened?

(from ABCNews.com)

I was able to watch the Pope's first appearance live on my laptop, and I was able to pray the Our Father along with him and the whole rest of the world, and it was just really kind of amazing and I cried a little. So many people around the world gathered and praying. Just amazing. 

(from ABCNews.com)

(from ABCNews.com)

Anyway, prior to that happening, I knew absolutely nothing about the new guy, but I think he'll do a wonderful job. I think he seems refreshingly genuine and humble, which is nice. 

Also, I saw this on Pinterest and it made me giggle so much that I just had to share (past Popes compared with Pope Francis):

Pin It

5. I may have mentioned this before, but our church made a new photo directory and we all had to take family portraits for it. 


But the photographer made us use the most ridiculous pose, and considering we live in the suburbs (with a bunch of families), we're like the only childless couple in the directory under the age of 60. And we look ridiculous. But we got a free 8x10, so now I have to figure out what on earth to do with this:

Ah yes, let me walk up behind my husband and rest my hands upon his shoulder just so, while he tilts his head toward me lovingly. We look like this ALL THE TIME, let me tell you...

So we've covered sparkly rings, silly directory photos, squeezing past people in church pews, and watching for smoke. Kind of random stuff today... haha! I hope you all have a lovely weekend! 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That picture is epic. I'm pretty sure my 80+ year old grandparents have the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone posted that picture of all the popes on Facebook and said that Pope Francis is the future patron saint of the socially awkward, ha!

    ReplyDelete