Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How Bacterial Sinus Infections Remind You What Love Is

Or, "The One Where Katie's Nose Attempts to Take Over Her Face"

I went to Houston over the weekend for Valentine's Day. But then on Saturday morning I started to get a bad case of the sniffles, which by Saturday evening had multiplied into relentless become-a-mouth-breather congestion. I confidently went to bed early, planning on sleeping off whatever it was, and then having a lovely V-Day. Of course, we all know what happens when I try to plan things...

Yep. I'm jealous of you. You little nose breather.

When I woke up on Valentine's Day, I could have sworn my nose was attempting to take over my face. Like seriously, my sinuses were engaged in all-out, take-no-prisoners warfare with my eyes and forehead. At one point tears just started falling from my eyes because my face was about to explode. My lips were chapped like no other from all that mouth-breathing, and sitting up was a task I was not willing to take on.

I'm big scary Nose Man! And I will take over your face! Muahahaha!

J helped me hobble to the couch, put a blanket on top of me (spreading it out evenly because I'm kind of OCD about messed up sheets/comforters/blankets), and spent the entire day sitting with me on the couch watching the Olympics.

SIDENOTE: How cute is Hannah Kearney?!? She's like my new favorite. I mean, look at those little pigtails!

And she knits too! We could be friends.

Anyway, J let me sleep on a pillow on his lap and went to get tissues and glasses of water for me when I needed them. As I faded in and out of consciousness, he just sat there, brushing my hair out of my face and giving me little kisses on my head.

That, my friends, is love.

Even though I was crazy-sick, it was a sweet moment (you know, after the fact). For years we've been living 1000 miles apart, and each time one of us isn't feeling well the other sweetly says into the phone, "Aww, I wish I was there to take care of you...I love you...blah blah blah." But this time, he was actually there. And even though I'm perfectly capable of taking care of my own sick self, it was really nice. And even though I was a disgusting dispenser of snot and sneezes, he couldn't stop telling me how beautiful I was.

And that is why I'm going to marry him, and live with him, and love him forever and ever. Because even though I'm just fine on my own, I'm better with him.

Of course, the next day I had to come back to College Station, go to the doctor, get my antibiotics, and discover that I can't seem to keep said antibiotics inside my stomach. So my nose is still attacking my temples, and I'm beginning to run out of Carmex. Such is life.

Anybody else have a bad case of the sniffles? What's your magic remedy?

No comments:

Post a Comment