Monday, July 21, 2014

Baby News: How I Told Jeff

After I saw the positive pregnancy test really early on a Saturday morning (I think it was around 6:00am), I started setting up a little surprise for Jeff. I'd had all the supplies ready to go for months, so it felt very surreal to actually be getting everything ready!

I hung a banner that said "Congrats, Daddy!" on the wall in the future nursery, and I clipped little South Carolina Gamecocks and Texas A&M Aggies baby booties on either side.

IMG_4453

IMG_4454

IMG_4455

Underneath the banner, I set up a couple books - Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad and The Catholic Baby Name Book - and I put the positive pregnancy test on the desk with them.

IMG_4458

I was intending to just wait until Jeff woke up and then tell him I wanted him to see something upstairs, but by 7:30am I was getting really impatient, so I decided to go wake him up. I knew I'd have to have a good reason to get him out of bed and upstairs so early on a Saturday, so I woke him up and told him that our wi-fi wasn't working, and that I needed him to come fix the router (our wi-fi router is in a closet in the future nursery). Jeff came upstairs with me, and when we walked into the room I just pointed at the wall with the banner.

IMG_4459

Jeff was still in the process of waking up, and he just stared for a second and then quietly said "Wow!" I was laughing at how sleepy he was, and after staring at the wall for another few seconds he said "We're going to have a little?" and I said "we're going to have a little!" I told him he didn't seem very excited, and he said "well I only woke up a minute ago... I take it the Internet isn't really broken?" Poor guy... perhaps I should've given him a little more time to wake up. :)

Eventually he looked at the pregnancy test and said "We're gonna have a little! Yeah!" and did a little celebratory dance, so I did end up getting the excited response I was hoping for! Then he read the entire  Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad book the next week on a business trip, so for the first few weeks of the pregnancy he was much more informed about what was going on with my body than I was!

Anyway, it was a really wonderful morning. We went to a family wedding that afternoon/evening, and it was so hard to keep ourselves from just telling everyone immediately! We kept the secret to ourselves though, at least for another few weeks. :)

3 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the little collegiate booties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you told him...and his reaction seems very similar to how my husband is in the morning when I try and tell him news before he is totally awake. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!! I'll have to remember to give Donny some time to wake up before I tell him the big news when it's our time. Lol

    ReplyDelete